How to straighten 4c hair
At first glance, straightening short natural hair may seem like mission impossible…
However, with the right methods and a little elbow grease, you can get very satisfying results, whether you are a man or a woman.
Let’s look at 4 techniques to straighten short afro hair and get the hair you want.
How to straighten short natural hair?
Several methods can be used to straighten short afro hair:
- Use a straightener
- Use a straightening brush
- Use a straightener
- Apply a Brazilian straightener
- Do a Japanese straightening
- Let’s look at these four methods in more detail.
1. Use a straightener
The straightener is one of the most effective ways to straighten your short hair. It is easy to use and you are rarely disappointed with the results.
Many models of straightening irons for 4c hair exist on the market, each with its own advantages.
They differ as much by the possible adjustments in temperature as their handling or the presence or not of a steam function.
The steps to straighten short hair with a straightening iron
- The first thing is to clean your hair. If possible, use a shampoo without sulfates to respect the scalp.
- Then apply a hair balm to the entire length of your hair. This will facilitate the smoothing process. If necessary, use a comb to make sure you apply it all over your hair.
- Apply a heat protection spray once your hair is dry. It helps protect the hair fibers from the heat of the straightener. Wait as long as it takes for the protective spray to dry.
- Use the straightener. Separate your hair into strands to make it easier for the straightener to work.
The advantages of using a straightener for short afro hair
With a little practice, straightening your short kinky hair yourself becomes a breeze
Allows to straighten all types of hair
It gives an immediate shiny effect and soft hair
Allows you to create waves without going as far as total straightening
A few precautions
- Make sure your hair is dry before ironing
- Always use a protective product against heat
Now all you have to do is buy a straightener and get started! If you don’t know which straightener for short hair to choose, I invite you to check out my guide to the best straightener for natural 4c hair.
2. Use a straightening brush
Another way to straighten short afro hair is to use a heated straightening brush. If you’re wondering how to straighten your natural hair without a straightening iron, this method is for you!
The electric brush is very similar to a classic hairbrush. The main difference is that it has a heating function to fix the hair as it passes.
Discover my article on the hair straightener brush disadvantages.
For men, it can also be used to straighten the beard.
Steps to use a straightening brush for short nappy hair
- Make sure you use it on a heat-safe surface
- Set the temperature according to your hair type. I recommend starting with the lowest temperature and then increasing it depending on the result
- Once the brush is hot, start brushing the hair from the roots to the ends. Be careful not to come in contact with your skin
- It may be necessary to brush a strand several times before achieving the desired result
The advantages of the straightening brush for short afro hair
- It is faster to heat than a straightening iron and can set your hair on the fly
- Ionic straightening brushes are effective in fighting frizz
- There are different shapes of brush heads to suit all hair types. For very short, natural hair, choose flat heads.
This method is ideal if you want to straighten your short nappy hair naturally. It is, however, less radical than straightening with a straightening iron or relaxer, as we’ll see next.
3. Hair straightener
If you have short hair, you can also use a relaxer to straighten it. A relaxer aims to change the very structure of the hair to make it straight.
After using a relaxer, you need to take care of your hair more than ever. This treatment is known to be aggressive to the hair, so it is essential to pamper it afterwards.
Make sure that your hair is in the best possible state of health before using a relaxer. For this, don’t hesitate to use a protein conditioner.
Straightening products and methods should be handled with care and it is best to leave the application of a straightener in the hands of a hair stylist. Improper application can seriously harm your hair.
Steps to follow to apply a relaxer yourself
- Isolate your hair with a brush. This will allow you to gain precision and avoid contact between the product and the scalp
- Apply the relaxer to your hair evenly
- Leave it on for the time indicated on the straightening kit. Note that afrian-american hair requires a longer application time
- Rinse your hair thoroughly with water
- Apply the cuticular regulator on the whole hair. This will instantly stop the straightening action.
- Rinse again thoroughly
- Apply the finishing lotion to nourish the hair fiber
In the weeks and months following a straightening, it is advisable to take special care of your hair. Do not hesitate to take oil baths in order to keep them hydrated.
Advantages of straightening for short natural hair
- The advantage of using a relaxer rather than a straightener alone is undoubtedly its duration of action. Its effect is on average 3 to 6 months, which is longer than the action obtained by the use of a straightening iron alone.
- Permanent straightening is very effective on afro hair.
4. Brazilian straightening with keratin
Keratin straightening, also known as Brazilian straightening, is a permanent treatment that allows you to straighten kinky without damaging it by giving it a deep care.
The result? Hair in great shape, shiny and silky.
Like straightening, it should preferably be done by experts. You can also do it on your own or with the help of a friend or family member, but be sure to follow the process.
The advantage of Brazilian straightening on short kinky hair is that it lasts about six months. One of its disadvantages is its cost. Count on average from 150 to 300$ for a Brazilian straightening in a salon.
A very popular alternative is tannin straightening. To learn more, I invite you to read my article taninoplastia vs keratin hair treatment.
5. Japanese straightening
Japanese straightening is certainly one of the most effective straightening techniques. Even the most difficult curls do not resist it and the hair remains straight for a long time.
Japanese hair straightening on 4c hair, use and benefits.
Japanese straightening not only guarantees optimal results, but also keeps the hair straight for at least six months.
Unlike other treatments that can damage hair over the long term, Japanese straightening is safe. It does not harm your hair since it is based on natural silk proteins and does not contain harmful chemicals.
The advantage is that after the treatment, you won’t be bothered by environmental conditions. In the shower, in the pool or in the rain, your hair will stay perfectly smooth and shiny just like when you left the salon!
For the best results, it is best to do the Japanese straightening in a hair salon.
How to keep your hair straight?
Now that you know how to have straight hair when it’s natural and short, it’s time to maintain it in the best way possible!
Once you’ve straightened your short curly hair, it’s time to take care of it to keep your hair fibers healthy!
Here are some tips to make your straightening last as long as possible:
- Wash your hair with a sulfate-free shampoo. These compounds can alter the action of the treatment
- Apply a hair treatment two to three times a month. For this, you can use a hair balm or a protein conditioner
- The use of an oil is ideal to keep your hair moisturized over time. Argan, olive or coconut oil are particularly recommended for natural hair
- Brush your hair daily. The boar bristle brush for natural hair is particularly suitable.
- Get a silk pillowcase. This material helps prevent hair dehydration
You are now ready to straighten your short nappy hair in the way that suits you. Be sure to weigh the pros and cons of each method before making your choice and taking action!