Olive oil for 4c hair – Benefits and uses
We all know the benefits of olive oil in cooking. But did you know that it is also a formidable ally for natural hair and for all hair types?
With its vitamins, antioxidants and healthy fats, olive oil provides Afro hair with many essential components to revitalize it in depth.
How to take full advantage of olive oil for 4C hair?
Discover here easy practices to give your curly hair the best !
The benefits of olive oil on natural hair
Olive oil has many benefits for natural hair:
- Eliminates hair dryness. Olive oil is recommended for dry 4c hair because it helps fight split ends by moisturizing abundantly
- Promotes hair growth. Its regenerative properties and high fatty acid content make it an excellent remedy to promote the growth of natural hair
- Strengthens hair and slows down its aging. Thanks to its richness in vitamin E, you benefit from stronger hair for longer!
- Softens hair and helps fight frizz. Combing hair becomes easier and faster
- Helps fight against poor hair growth or 4c hair loss. This is due to its high concentration of antioxidants and azelaic acid, which helps slow down the production of the DHT hormone responsible for hair loss.
Olive oil is a product full of vitamins, minerals and excellent fatty acids to take care of Afro hair and keep it always beautiful and healthy.
This composition makes it an excellent ally to combat many hair problems such as natural hair breakage but also excessive loss and poor growth.
👉🏾 recommended reading : what causes hair breakage in african american hair ?
The role of olive oil on nappy hair is therefore plural. In addition to being one of the best remedies for better hair vigor, it offers a much denser and more abundant hair.
How to use olive oil for hair?
Olive oil can be applied to the hair in different ways. It depends on how you want to use it and how much time you are willing to spend on it.
The oil bath
One of the most common uses is an oil bath at the end of the day. It involves applying olive oil to the hair without rinsing it out immediately, but leaving it on overnight.
Although the first effects of this treatment can be seen the next day, it is necessary to repeat the operation at least once a week to get the most out of the oil’s beneficial effects.
Scalp massage with olive oil
This type of treatment is particularly recommended to stimulate hair growth.
Massaging the scalp with olive oil boosts blood circulation, which tones the hair follicle directly responsible for the production of keratin.
In addition to promoting the growth of kinky hair, olive oil massage relieves irritation and helps achieve silky, healthy hair.
Combine olive oil with other oils
Whether it’s through commercial solutions or homemade recipes, combining olive oil with other elements can add up to a lot of benefits.
Among the most common mixtures are sesame oil, almond oil or honey and avocado.
You can create a real nutritious cocktail that your hair will love!
What is the purpose of the olive oil bath for natural hair?
Done before shampooing, the olive oil bath brings to the hair the many beneficial elements present in it. This oil is also one of the best natural hair care products black woman !
The benefits of making an olive oil bath for hair:
- Moisturize dry hair in depth
- Strengthen hair fibers, say goodbye to brittle hair!
- Soften hair and restore its shine
- Make dull hair silky
- Stimulate hair growth
If you have very dry and damaged hair, one to three baths per week can help you quickly recover healthier hair. However, one bath a week is enough for most hair.
How to make an oil bath for natural hair in 5 steps
There’s nothing complicated about applying an oil bath. The only things you need are olive oil, your hair and a heated towel.
- Pour the equivalent of a tablespoon of oil into your hand
- Massage your entire scalp, distributing the oil as evenly as possible
- Then spread the oil over the lengths. Adjust the amount of oil according to your needs, the main thing is that the whole of your hair is covered with a thin greasy film.
- Wrap your hair in a warm towel. This will open the cuticles and help the nutrients penetrate.
- Let your hair rest for at least 2 hours before rinsing. Do not hesitate to do this operation in the evening to let the oil rest all night long!
You’ve had a heavy hand and you’re wondering how to get rid of olive oil on your hair?
To rinse the hair, and since the water and oil don’t mix, I recommend a gentle dry shampoo. If necessary, do a second shampoo.
Even after two shampoos, there may be some oil residue left on your hair. Don’t worry, this thin layer of oil will continue to moisturize your hair until the next shampoo!
Home recipes for hair care with olive oil
recipe oil bath afro hair
Nothing could be easier than to prepare a mask for african-american hair with olive oil. In addition to providing many benefits and have hair like after the hairdresser, this hair care is 100% natural.
Here are 3 quick and easy recipes:
Olive oil and avocado bath for frizz-free hair
The properties of avocado make it a wonderful ingredient in many homemade beauty recipes, for hair as well as for skin.
When combined with olive oil, it can help keep hair strong, soft and silky.
- 1 half ripe avocado, mashed
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon organic lemon juice (optional)
- Mix the olive oil and the half avocado to obtain a velvety ointment
- Mix with lemon juice
- Apply the preparation to your hair and leave on for about 20 minutes
- Rinse with a mild shampoo
Honey, olive oil, sesame oil soothing treatment
Because of its soothing action, sesame oil is ideal in case of occasional irritation of the scalp.
As for honey, it contains a myriad of elements that boost the health of the hair. It contains, among other things, vitamins, amino acids and antioxidants that come to protect and strengthen your hair.
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- Mix the honey and oils in a container
- Apply the mixture to your hair as described above. Adjust the amounts to your hair, too much can lead to overly sticky hair.
- Leave on for 30 minutes to 1 hour
- Rinse thoroughly with a mild shampoo
Honey has unsuspected virtues for the hair. I detail its benefits and its use in my article on the benefits of honey for natural hair!
Olive oil, honey and egg treatment
A source of protein and nutrients, eggs help boost hair’s natural regenerative abilities while restoring its shine and softness.
👉🏾 See the best natural protein treatment for natural hair.
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- Mix the honey, egg yolk and olive oil.
- Apply them to your dry hair
- Leave the hair oil on for one hour
- Rinse your hair with a mild shampoo
Although the effects of an olive oil treatment are immediate, it is ideal to apply these recipes regularly in order to benefit from the beneficial effects over the long term.
These three homemade recipes have the advantage of being easy to prepare. You should know that there are still many variations involving other ingredients: castor oil, sweet almond oil, banana, milk or coconut cream, you are free to try variations!
Which olive oil to choose for hair ?
The moment to choose your olive oil is also the moment to face the sad reality: a large part of the olive oils that we find in the shops are not of quality.
So I can only recommend that you turn to small local merchants or importers who are transparent about the provenance of their products.
👉🏾 See the best oils for kinky hair growth.
There is a real nutritional difference between two different quality oils. In fact, hair reacts differently depending on the quality of the oil used.
I recommend that you look for extra virgin olive oil. This certification means that the oil:
- Comes from the first pressing of fresh olives
- Is extracted only by mechanical means
- Has a fatty acid content of less than 0.8%.
It also goes without saying that it is better to choose organic. However, this is not an obligation. It is also essential to give preference to oils extracted in a traditional way and from cultures that respect the earth.
You will see that a good olive oil will quickly become your best friend to obtain more voluminous and beautiful hair.
The benefits of olive oil on afro hair
On natural hair, olive oil prevents the appearance of dry hair. It also promotes hair growth and slows the aging of hair. Olive oil makes natural hair soft and helps eliminate frizz.
So get your best olive oil and give your natural hair the best!