What causes split ends on natural hair and how to get rid of it ?
Do your split ends prevent you from doing your hair the way you want? Are you looking for a way to get rid of them once and for all?
Split ends in natural hair are a terrible scourge, they cause hair breakage and lead to “straw hair”.
Fortunately, there are solutions to get rid of them and regain healthy natural hair!
Discover in this article why split ends appear and how to avoid them.
Split ends: what are they ?
Split ends are the result of damage to the hair shaft. Friction and repeated aggression, such as brushing and styling, can weaken and break the shaft. This results in split ends and frayed hair.
A fork is identified by a white spot at the end of the hair. This mark is a sign that the hair fiber is damaged.
👉🏾 Recommended reading: what is the best flat iron for african american natural hair ?
How to know if you have split ends ?
To know if you have split ends in your hair, bend a strand between your fingers and observe if the shaft is frayed. Also, if your hair often tangles, you probably have split ends.
On the other hand, if your hair breaks easily, it’s a sign that you probably have split ends.
Is it normal to have split ends ?
The vast majority of women experience split ends at one time or another! Note that split ends are more frequent in women with long hair because they are more exposed to daily aggressions such as the sun, the wind or pollution.
So does everyone get split ends?
Split ends appear most often on dry or damaged hair.
Because type 4 hair is particularly prone to dryness, it can easily develop split ends.
👉🏾 Recommended reading: how to moisturize your natural hair naturally?
If your split ends are really bothering you, don’t hesitate to ask your hairstylist for advice on the best way to care for them!
What causes split ends in curly natural hair ?
Split ends can be caused by many factors, including:
- Excessive styling
- Overuse of heated hair products or equipment
- Naturally dry hair. This is unfortunately often the case with Afro hair
- Environmental factors: exposure to the sun, wind, pollution…
Why cut your split ends ?
Cutting your split ends can have many benefits, among them
- Makes your hair more resistant to daily aggressions
- Keeps your hair healthy and shiny
- Helps increase the length of your hair by preventing split ends
- If your hair is nappy or has a tendency to tangle, cutting split ends regularly will help tame your flyaways
How to remove split ends ?
Cutting your ends is the only way to eliminate existing split ends.
You can cut your split ends as soon as you notice a large amount of split ends.
Little tips when you cut your ends:
- Heat the blades of your scissors before cutting. This will cauterize the weakened hair and restore its flexibility.
- Cut your hair while it is still wet. This will help to delay the appearance of new split ends
How to avoid split ends on natural hair ?
Type 4c afro hair is very prone to split ends.
Here are some 100% effective methods to prevent their appearance:
- Moisturize your hair: drink more water and do oil baths and deep treatments regularly
- Reduce the frequency of shampooing: the low-poo and no-poo trends are no accident! Let your natural hair breathe by spacing out your shampoos
- Avoid extreme heat sources: straighteners and hair dryers are the enemies to banish if you want to keep your hair hydrated
- Use natural brushes: use a natural hair brush that respects your hair fibers and scalp. Take advantage of the benefits of boar bristle brushes on fine hair
- Adopt protective hairstyles: natural hair is very sensitive to friction, and protective hairstyles help defend it against these daily hazards
dopt these few habits and you will notice a sharp decrease in your split ends!
How to get rid of split ends naturally?
As we’ve seen before, one of the best ways to get rid of split ends is to keep your hair optimally moisturized.
The good news is that it’s very easy to make your own ultra-moisturizing homemade treatment!
Homemade Hydrating Hair Mask Recipe to Fight Split Ends:
This deep conditioner is perfect for keeping hair well moisturized and limiting the appearance of split ends.
👉🏾 Check out the best natural protein treatment for natural hair.
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 banana
- 1 teaspoon of coconut oil
- Mash the banana until you get a homogeneous puree
- Mix the banana with the egg yolk
- Add the coconut oil to the mixture
- Apply this mask on your lengths and ends
- Leave on for at least 15 minutes
- Rinse with your usual mild shampoo
To get the most out of this deep treatment, you can leave it on overnight by wrapping your hair with tape or a towel.
Which oil to repair split ends?
Argan oil is particularly recommended to fight against split ends. Its action nourishes the hair and stimulates the growth. It thus makes it possible to reduce the appearance of split ends and to reinforce the capillary fibres.
Among the other oils to be privileged to fight against the split ends:
- Coconut oil: particularly recommended if you have african-american hair
- Sweet almond oil
- Jojoba oil
👉🏾 Find out which oils are best for kinky hair with little porosity.
How often should you trim the ends of natural hair ?
To maintain healthy growth for your kinky hair, it’s recommended to trim about 1 cm every three months. This will limit breakage of hair fibers and make detangling easier.
Keep in mind that the more regularly you cut your ends, the less split ends you will have!